Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Humble and Contrite Heart

Isaiah 66:2 Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?"declards the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.
I see the word "contrite" every now and then in the Bible and during worship service. This word was rarely spotted in those fiction works which I have been reading. It never occurred to me on its meaning (do you know its meaning, at this point?) and honestly, I have never bothered much to look it up.

Image linked from sovereigngrace.multiply.com
Today, as I was reading Isaiah 66, which is the last chapter for this year's bible reading according to the 3-year plan, it occurred to me that I should look up on this word in the dictionary. According to The Free Dictionary, "contrite" means "feeling regret and sorrow for one's sins or offenses" and I have verified this with the Oxford Dictionary. So yes, this definition is correct. Is this the same as remorse then?

Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Questions aside, what I'm really thinking about right now is the character of the person which is pleasing to God. We have the fruits of the Holy Spirit; we have the seven commandments; we have the various Bible characters to guide us on what to do and what not to do. The significance of this verse to me is the word "humble" and "contrite".

A humble and contrite spirit - if these two words were used on the same person, how would I expect the person to be?

Modest. Not prideful. Not arrogant. Not self-righteous. Aware of own's sins or offenses and feels regret and sorrow towards it.

As Christians, we must always remind ourselves that we are not sinless. Due to our human nature, we still sin. Therefore, awareness of our sins is important so that we can be humble. Or is it that we must be humble then only we'll be aware of our sins?

For more reading on a humble and contrite heart, click on the following links.
What is a Contrite Heart by Mark E. Baker

No comments: