Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Working for Who?

The Disciple 1 class is once again coming to an end. As a participant last year, I had the joy of going through the materials and assignments for the first time. I started off with the beginner's enthusiasm to stick to the schedule and answer all the questions in the book. As weeks turn into months, I began to slack, sometimes doing last minute reading and finding myself falling behind the rest of the class who has obviously done their homework. Then the determination peaked again towards the end, and of course, the retreat was an unforgettable experience.

This year I was involved in Disciple 1 as a facilitator. Going through the materials for the second time, I should be gaining more insight and learning more than last year. However, I often find myself struggling as I prepare for the week's lesson. I still followed through the reading assignments, as during the facilitators' training I was told that the reading is the basics of the class. But I struggled with the questions asked during the class. I struggled with getting more information about the particular book or chapter that we are discussing. After the class on Tuesday nights, I often kicked myself for not having done enough; for not being able to provide the answers or the perfect motivation to the participants.

I know that at the end of the day, the answers and the motivation should come from the Holy Spirit. It is God at work, not me. Nevertheless, I am aware that I have not done my best. Colossians 3:23 says,
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,
The above verse applies in all areas of our lives - be it in the ministries which we are involved in, our jobs, our household affairs and our relationships. But it is easy to slack when we think that nobody is watching. Men may not be watching over our shoulders all the time, but God is.

 Image linked from http://hoaxnewshere.wordpress.com

I have the weakness of starting off highly motivated, but the motivation does not last. Deadlines and external motivation will spur me on, but these two factors are not tangible when God is concerned. And that's when brothers- and sisters-in-Christ come into the picture - to hold each other accountable so that at the end of the race, no one misses the deadline or the mark of excellence.

No comments: