Pages

Friday, November 04, 2011

9 a.m.

What do you do at nine o'clock in the morning? When I was working full-time, by 9 a.m. I would be in the office, doing whatever that I am supposed to be attending to at the time, on that day. Now that I am no longer employed full-time, sometimes I wake up at 9 a.m. On some days, I would be at my study desk, doing my devotional at 9 o'clock in the morning.

The title of the book caught my attention - Nine o'clock in the morning by Dennis J. Bennett. I was browsing through the shelves of the church library while waiting for the weekly bible study sessions to start when the book caught my attention. The author's story took place in the 1960s in U.S. It is a Christian book, written by Father Bennett who is a rector of an Episcopalian church. The author narrates his own encounter with baptism in the Spirit and speaking in tongues, and he gives great testimony on the work of the Holy Spirit both in the churches he served as well as in his personal life.

Some people may feel apprehensive towards the testimonies put forth in the book. Nevertheless, the book is a good read to refresh us Christians on the meaning of allowing the Holy Spirit to work within us. Living in a secular world, we often apply our secular perspectives on the spiritual, rather than apply spiritual perspectives on the secular. We may choose to interpret the manisfestation of the work of the Holy Spirit in different ways, but we must allow the work to take place in us. Perhaps learning to let go of certain things which could be a hindrance, could be the first step.

No comments: