Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Feel good

Life is so comfortable and at the same time so troublesome. Oxymoron but it's true. On one side we are worry about the rise in petrol price and on the other side we are dreaming of a nice car. On one side we are worry about our health and on the other side we are thinking of what nice food to eat. We are looking forward to achieve our dreams and goals in life, either money wise or children wise but at the same time we are worry if these dreams will steer us away from God. Hard to balance. That is probably the reason why many people has resorted to prosperity gospel.
It's a gospel without any conflict, so they think. You can please God by making lots and lots of money. Great isn't it? Or you can finally use your many hours of prayer seminar to practice, ask for good pay rise and big bonuses. It's just so convenient. We might even be tempted to say " ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’, I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. 19 And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’

I notice similarity on both the approach taken by Jesus and Paul in this regards. In Luke 12, Jesus was talking about people who would rather invest in personal richness rather than having a rich relationship with God. Jesus immediately follow up on verse 35 about His second coming. How if we would take things for granted, thinking we are Christian but not pursing our calling rightly, we might not be ready when He comes to bring us home .

Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5 too talks about people who are disillusion thinking there will not be a second coming or at least not in the life time, people who trust in peace and securities rather than God. They need to be careful because the day of the Lord's return will come like a thief. Thus we are asked to live in the light. We are called to practice our faith to the fullest potential. Live towards our calling.

I guess the lesson for me is not to set my eyes on things which cannot last but rather constantly looking for opportunity to glorify God in any way possible. We do not know how long we have left on earth, 20 more years? 10 more years? 1 more day? Who can say? When the final day arrives, would our hard earned currency buys an escape route? Will our new car drives us away? Can we hide in our newly renovated house? Would all our other investment makes any difference to us?

Matthew 6

19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

Will you be ready to see God tomorrow?


No comments: